If you are running an old version of Zen Cart and you want to upgrade Zen Cart to the latest version, follow the steps below
April 07, 2017 Update: The following Upgrade Zen Cart tutorial has been updated for the latest Zen Cart 1.5.7d
- Backup your existing website before you upgrade Zen Cart by logging into your Web Hosting’s Cpanel. Go to File Manager and select all Zen Cart files and then click compress to create a zip file.
- Then backup your mysql database by going to phpmyadmin in your cpanel hosting and then click the database name on the left and then click export to export the database dump.
- Login to your admin and make a list of all the modules that have installed like shipping modules (ups/usps), image handler etc in a notepad file.
- Download the latest zen-cart 1.5.7d from https://www.zen-cart.com/ (Size: 7.25 MB)
- Create a new folder /store or /shop and upload the latest Zen Cart (Zip file) in that folder.
- Using File Manager again, select the zip file and then click extract to extract the contents.
- When you will extract the zip file, it will create another folder “zen-cart-v1.5.5e-03082017” inside shop folder so open that folder and then select all the files and move them out of this folder to shop folder.
- Create a new MySQL database and import sql dump file of your old store. This will make a copy of your old website’s database.
- Copy configure files from old zen cart (includes/configure.php & youradmin/includes/configure.zip) to the new Zen Cart and then edit both these configure files to update the paths & database details.
- Also copy the images folder from the old Zen Cart to the new one.
- Now go to http://yourdomainname.com/shop/zc_install and then choose “Database Upgrade”. If for some reason you dont see Database Upgrade option then you made a mistake somewhere. Recheck configure files and make sure all the paths/database details are correct. Just follow the wizard to complete the upgrade.
- Delete the zc_install folder and then rename the admin folder.
- You may have made many changes to your language files so use the tool (WinMerge) to compare the zen cart 1.3.9 backup folder with the zen cart 1.5 folder and note the files that are different. You may have installed custom template so there will be extra files as well. So copy the custom template folders/files to the new upgraded store.
- Re-Install all the modules (Shipping/Payment) and other modules that you had on your old zencart store. (All mods may not be compatible with the new version)
- Test everything.
- Now move your Zen Cart 1.3.x files from public_html folder to /oldsite and move the contents of /shop folder to the root and then update the configure files.
- You are finally done with the upgrade of your zen cart store.
If you need help in upgrading your Zen Cart website to the latest version, Buy my Gig on Fiverr.